I came home from a long day of work, with a plan just to have some Baileys, use my Biore Pore strip, get some work done online and call it a night. In the time to took me to get to the shower, I had a The Notebook moment and I heard Ryan Gosling asking me WHAT DO YOU WANT!?. Now, with Christmas just two weeks away, it’s easy to be feel both overwhelmed and overexcited. Makeup Artists, for those who may not know, receive professional discounts from tons of brands, we may also receive product for our kits when our work is published in print or online, and also for review. That means..we don’t want makeup. (Unless its from Charlotte Tilbury or Tom Ford lol ) So when my friends and family asked me what do I want for Christmas, I had to really think about it. If you’re bad at giving hints, reposting this on your Facebook or Instagram may give your loved ones the answer they’ve been looking for.
1. Label Maker – Yup! A label maker. We have so many products, we tend to depot them into smaller containers or jars. Nothing looks more professional than a clean, neat kit. A label maker would help the artist to identify products quicker, making their job easier which in turn allow us to love you more efficiently. For those with roommates, it would be amazing to label food you don’t want anyone else to eat. A win-win situation.
2. Spa Day – Ouu, the word spa just makes us tingle inside. We spend long hours on our feet, carrying bags and running around on set. Nothing would be better than a massage, and maybe a little mani pedi. Yes Yes Yes. Of course, whatever package you choose would be determined on your budget. Regardless, it’s a great idea.
3. Money – Did you really put money on the list? Yes, this could be an awkward situation according to the relationship but trust me, a makeup artist will gladly accept this as a gift. Truth is, sometimes business can be slow, you never know, you may be helping out with a bill or something you have no idea about. If you don’t feel weird about it, get a cute card, write a sweet note and pop another note $ in there.
4. Gift Certificates – Really lost? Get a gift card. It will definitely not go to waste. Some ideas would be :
Shoe Stores – We always need comfortable shoes.
Ikea/Target/Container Store – These places are heaven and lots of money can go down in there. Consider it.
Vistaprint/Adorama – Or any other printing service. This can be a great help for printing marketing materials, something a makeup artist will always need.
B&H Photo – Anything with regards to editing, blogging will be great. Think ring lights, tripods etc
Luggage – Sleek carrying cases for travel and/or makeup.
5. Clothes – Thank You! I needed a new sweater anyway. Clothes will always be worn, and sometimes our budget will not include a large sum for clothes all the time. By doing a little investigation on social media, I’m sure you can pick up a couple sweaters, or shirts. If the person is picky, try not to over think it, just choose simple styles.
6. A Camera – As an owner of a DSLR, this would be awesome if the person you are purchasing for is into photography. If not, there are some high performance compact cameras that are very affordable. Nikon Cool Pix and Canon Cybershot are my top picks.
7. Art Classes – A great way to tap into our creativity, using a different medium. I’ve been to both the @ThePaintPlaceNY and The Painting Lounge ( #ThePaintingLounge) The Painting Lounge has a BYOB option in their Manhattan location. I had a great time at both places. Good times.
8. Photography Class – The points you will receive for this one. Thank me later lol. There are tons of options in the city, look around in your area for classes or even one on one sessions. I’ve taken 2 courses at PhotoUno Photography School, they offer Basic to Advanced Classes and also have one on one options. Understanding photography is a great strength for a makeup artist. #LivingandLearning
9. Books – Books are always great regardless of the genre. For makeup specific options, coffee table books are a great inspiration. Check out Francesca Tosot’s book One Woman 100 Faces and Andrew Gallimore’s new book being released early January (don’t worry late gifts are always good too)
10. Electronics – While this is a broad category, knowing the person closely would help you out. Do they own an ipad? How about a iPad mini? Owner of a MacBook Pro? maybe a cool new program that could help them be more efficient or even editing programs. Barnes and Noble recently released their new Samsung powered Nook, I got one for Christmas last year and I’ve loved it ever since. Netflix + my books + magazine subscriptions = perfection. Yeah, those magazines take up so much space after awhile. Also, a portable charger! If iphone 5, a Mophie case would be great, mine has saved me 100 times over.